433 Plaza Street Bogalusa, La 70427 ph: (985) 730-6700
LSU Bogalusa Medical Center Our History
The Company Hospital founded by Great Southern Lumber in 1906. Most of the Company workers take advantage of the medical and surgical benefits offered by the hospital at a monthly charge of $2.50 for married men and their families and $1.25 for single employees.
In 1918 name was changed to Elizabeth Sullivan Memorial Hospital upon the death of Mrs. William Henry Sullivan, the wife of Bogalusa’s mayor.
One of the finest nursing schools in the state producing very sought after well-trained nurses trained at Elizabeth Sullivan Memorial Hospital.
The new Washington St. Tammany Parish Charity Hospital was built in 1951.
ESM Hospital turned over to Community ownership in 1950 and was renamed Bogalusa Community Medical Center.
· July 1, 2997, Act 2 of the Louisiana Legislature authorizes the operation of the charity hospital by LSU System.
· June 24, 2002 Washington St. Tammany Parish Charity Hospital merges with the Bogalusa Community Medical Center.
remodel post Hurricane Katrina .
2006 Rural Family Medicine Residency
Program began with 4 residents .
· 2008 Obstetrics services returned to Washington Parish after ten year absence in a $6 million state of the art facility.
· In 2010 $5 million expansion project doubled the size of the Residency Program facility.
· 2010 Inpatient room furnishing upgrade. Every patient room refreshed for comfort and safety.
· Plans are underway to begin construction for a planned $7.5 million expansion of the Emergency Department, Admitting, Surgery and support spaces.